Personal injuries are caused due to negligence or wrong doing of another person, company, government agency, or any other entity. A personal injury lawyer is the person who provides legal representation to people who have been injured physically or psychologically.
Personal injuries generally fall under several categories: auto accidents, slip and fall, medical malpractice, nursing home failure of care, cruise accidents, and wrongful death. In most of these occasions, one doesn’t get their compensation directly from insurance companies. In such cases, you should hire a personal injury lawyer.
Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you are facing one of the following situations, you should consider hiring a personal injury lawyer to protect your rights.
- - If you have sustained injuries that require surgery or long-term treatment.
- - If your injuries have resulted in permanent impairment.
- - If your injuries have caused you to miss work for more than few days.
- - If you have sustained head or brain injuries.
- - If due to your injuries, you are unable to carry out your daily activities like, dressing, feeding, walk, or other similar personal activities.
- - If your previous injury or medical condition has been aggravated due to this new injury.
If you face any of the above mentioned situations, before the opposite party’s lawyer approaches you for a settlement, you should arrange for your own lawyer who can negotiate on your behalf. While you are on a lookout for the personal injury attorney, you should consider the following pointers.
- - Consultancy fees are usually waived off for the first meeting.
- - Experience in personal injury cases.
- - Do a thorough check on the lawyer.
- - Seek assistance for getting settlement with insurance companies.
- - Get an opinion about the case.
The personal injury lawyer will evaluate the case and act on your behalf with the insurance company. The law firms work in accordance with the insurance firms, to get your settlement. The personal injury attorneys are well-trained to make sure insurance companies pay the appropriate settlement amount that you are entitled for.